Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Simple Joys (Pippin)

[originally posted March 9, 2006]

I'd like to describe my vacation so far in the way Victor does in The Rules Of Attraction, but I'm naturally too long winded for that, so I'll just have to do my best. I've done some good shopping. Bought 2 pairs of shoes (Puma and Hush Puppies) each for about $45CAN (let's hear it for no taxes!), a messenger bag suited for travel also for about $45CAN, and a sexy pair of jeans from Zara, also about $45CAN. It's all about spending less than $50 for something that should cost between $100-$300. I want to buy everything I see, especially shoes, which I don't get cause I've never been a shoe whore before. I guess my new found admiration for Carrie Bradshaw is kicking in.Eaten at some lovely restaurants and been to some swanky night spots, despite my picky taste in food and loathing for alcohol. The decors here are fucking hot. Those Asians sure know how to throw a place together! Ahem. The movie theatres here (that I've been to) have leather seats and assigned seating. And people don't talk during movies! Go figure!
Visited Lamma Island, TST, Stanley Island, Avenue of The Stars, the Peninsula, the art museum, the Peak, and HK Disneyland. Monday morning (Sunday night back home) I accompanied my sister to her office at Disney for the live feed of The Academy Awards. The theme was classic Hollywood, and I went as Fred Astaire, the sis as Charlie Chaplin. We filmed commercial spots for the Oscars to be aired later that evening for the rebroadcast, which ended up being replaced by ads for Ang Lee's win. I kicked ass at movie charades and was shocked by the employees of Disney's lack of movie trivia knowledge.
All sales employees greet you when you walk into their store, and they say goodbye when you leave. In between they stick to you like velcro but hardly say a word. It's interesting. I didn't expect the city to be so mountainous, and I certainly did not expect it to be so easy for a Westerner to get around. Everyone speaks english and the locals actually don't seem to outnumber the foreigners. So comforting.
Went to a club called Dragon-I Wednesday night, which was models night. Everyone was fucking hot. I knew there would be female models but I was not expecting so many male models. Everyone was so beautiful, so vain, so insecure. It was odd and uncomfortable and exhilarating all at once. Tomorrow we hop a plane to Thailand for a 3 day/2 night excursion to Bangkok. It's hot there. I don't like heat. Good luck, me!

No comments: