Sunday, April 30, 2006

Does Anybody Wanna Buy A Memory (Brooklyn)

She came out in a glittery gown with her big long curly red hair and sang Let Me Entertain You. Then she said "Bonjour Madames et Monsieurs. Je m'appelle Bernadette Peters. And that concludes the french portion of the evening." She then walked back to the piano to grab a glass of water and said "This is my back." She also announced that the last she checked, "the score is 3-0 Ottawa." Then she said that the song she just sang was from Gypsy, which she was in, but she didn't sing that song in the show. She would next sing a song from In Into The Woods, which she was in "but I didn't sing this song either," and sang No One Is Alone. She said that this is her first time in Ottawa. "I love that you have underground shopping. But when I come back up my hair gets all frizzy." As she sang There Is Nothing Like A Dame from South Pacific (?), she walked off stage and into the aisle and stopped (just before getting to row E, my row), and stared down a lucky man. She sang and sang lower and lower, as she lowered her body to meet him eye to eye. I would have wet myself if I were he.

She said the next song was one she has always wanted to sing but "this is my first time. Be gentle." She walked back, up some steps, and carefully drapped herself on the grand piano to sing the sexiest rendition of Fever I may have ever heard. Finally she sang a song from a show that she was in, and did sing in that show - Unexpected Song from Song and Dance. (I would have rathered Tell Me On A Sunday, if only to get Lindsay Karmer's butchered version out of my head. She raved about Sondheim as she sang You Could Drive A Person Crazy, Not A Day Goes By, Children Will Listen, and for her finally, Being Alive. Other highlights, my short term memory will not allow me to recall, but I do remember her beautifully singing a soft and understated song and right by the end, some old could behind me started talking.

When she came out for her encore, she said "Ottawa won." Then she talked about Gypsy as she put on the cardigan she wore in the show, and the shoes she wore in the show. She seemlessly turned into Rose and broke into Rose's Turn. It was phenomenal. I've always regretted not seeing her portrayal of Rose, and now I got a little taste of it live. I'm complete.

Went to the stage door to meet her after the show. She signed my program. "What's your name?" "Nick. And I love you. You're fabulous." "Awe, thank you." And as I walked away she said "Good luck to you." The woman is my mother's age. Why is a someone who's almost sixty sexier than most 20 year olds I know? I love Bernadette Peters.

3 comments:

bedroomprince said...

I am so jealous

skinny-rabbit said...

"Jealousy is an ugly thing, Dorothy. And so are you in anything backless."

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

Okay, I know that I boycotted all the "let's make out" comment stuff but now that Bernadette Peters actually talked to you, I really wanna make out with you.