Thursday, May 25, 2006

Funny/The Duck Joke (My Favourite Year)

A few weeks ago, a friend of mine called me up, super excited, and said "I know what you should do! Stand up comedy!" I had thought about trying it years before, when we had to do it in OAC Drama class. I caught the bug, then it died. Now the idea of turning the blogs into a one man show has been thrown out there. Interesting idea.

I had already looked into the amateur nights at this city's comedy clubs. It's definitely an avenue I'd like to drive down. I'm lucky that I have many talents, however I can't say I'm amazing at all of them. I truly believe that I'm a gifted actor, and I don't think I'm being arrogant when I say that. However, I'm not a good enough singer to make money as a singer, and I'm not a good enough dancer to get strictly dancing roles. Screenwriting, I guess I'm good at, but my writing style borders on melodramatic because of my soap opera addiction. However, I do write one mean mother fucking soap opera. But that's not the road I want to go down at this point in life. So looking toward stand up seems like a good option. I could get noticed, get bit parts, then get my own sitcom followed by a talk show, and a bad movie career. That sounds nice.

But will I be funny enough in person when I'm recounting my stories that I've rehearsed and are no longer truthful? Are my stories even actually funny? If the audience didn't laugh, I'd die. Maybe Ottawa isn't the place to try this, cause these people are such losers they don't know good comedy when they see it.

1 comment:

The ArtofBeingMe said...

I think your funny skinny-rabbit! However, if you're going to venture into stand up comedy, take wanda with you. :)