Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Diva's Lament (Spamalot)

Ok, I should start off by admitting that I am a diva. Yes I am. However, I am a diva in the good sense. In the sense that I am fabulous and amazing and everybody wants to be like me.

I'm really unhappy doing my show right now. Usually when we get to the theatre, all my misgivings go away, but this time, I just find myself hating the experience and these people more and more. One in particular. The lead. She's playing Victor/Victoria, the role created by Julie Andrews, and she's trying to channel her performance ability.

I don't feel like writing out the situation but basically right after a scene she made a comment to me and another guy. She then gave me the note once again after the show, and when I tried to argue my point she refused to listen. Then at the afterparty, which she did not attend, the stage manager gave me the note AGAIN on her behalf. Then she gave the other guy the note the next day before the show. I hate her. Especially since it's not even a note for us, it's a not for the crew, because what they did influences what we did. She's also made ridiculous demands and yelled at helpless people about things like the tape they use for her wireless mic, and the light in her quick change space that "doesn't work" (which does). I hate divas.

A quote of hers: "I gave up professional theatre in England to become a mother. What a mistake that was."

Nice lady.

I'm so blah about this cast now, but there's one guy who can always brighten up my day. He hates the show and the cast too, and he also happens to be really funny, so I never leave his side. One day I was in a particularly bad mood and he walked in I told him to say something funny and without missing a beat and with total seriousness he looked me in the eye and said "I open mouthed kissed a horse once." I died laughing, they had to revive me. When everyone, including him, were talking about how not funny that was, I was still laughing my ass off.

1 comment:

The ArtofBeingMe said...

First of all, the people in your cast must be really boring, because he sounds like a hoot to me. I would have been laughing. Blessed be those people who bring light upon a bad theatre experience.

Secondly, the poor, poor children/child of that naughty diva. Do they know they she regrets the day they were born and that she is a selfish, thankless monster? poor muffins.