Monday, July 14, 2008

Dude All Dude (Dude)

Don't hate me but I met David Sedaris last night. There was a book signing at a tiny bookstore in the West part of town. My lady friend told me about it the day before, so we went. There were so many people, we had to sit in the parking lot and listen to him over speakers. He came out to say hello and was super friendly. He read three stories. They were funny. Then we waited two hours in line for his signature. The reason we waited so long is because he takes his time to talk to each person. He likes to get to know his readers and doesn't like to talk about what they like about his work. We could hear him trying to guess everyone's zodiac signs. When he got to me he said I'm a Taurus. He could see in my face that he was wrong so he told me that I'm adopted and I never knew it and my parents want me to think I'm Libra. I was all "woah, how did you do that?" but he just smiled and signed my book. He wrote

To Skinny Rabbit

Diabetes is for lovers

David Sedaris

He asked my friend if she likes turtles, so she laughed and said yes. He proceeded to draw a turtle, a cross, a stick figure of Jesus hanging from the cross, screaming "AAAAAHHHH!" and told us that turtles hate Jesus. My friend asked him to guess her sign, so he said "Pisces. No, Sagittarius. I see a little bit of myself in you, so I'm going to say Capricorn. Taurus? Pisces? Gemini? Taurus?" He then admitted that he just guessed mine and I seemed so impressed with him, that he wishes he could have guessed hers sooner.

Before we left she asked him to write "I see myself in you" in her book. He opened the book and wrote "see self in you."

This man kills me. He also bought ice cream and raspberries for everyone. How amazing is life when one week I'm meeting Susan Blackwell and the next I'm meeting David Sedaris?

2 comments:

artsmonkey said...

what fun.

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I didn't sign the permission slip for any new ladyfriends, skinny.

But yeah, life seems pretty fucking wicked right now! you should write a show about it.