Monday, February 12, 2007

Simple (Nine)

I went to an audition for Wonderland yesterday and was cut. I didn't want it anyway, and I didn't mind being cut, but I think I was the only one who got cut and that's weird. It also meant I had to wait hours in the middle of nowhere for my friend who had to stay for the dance call. That was annoying. I hated the day. Then I met up with a friend at Yonge and St Clair pub where I ate fajitas. It was pretty dead and karaoke night. There was a small group who kept singing all the songs because, well, there was no one else there. This creepy dude who works there kept coming up to our table to ask us to sing but we weren't interested. Finally we decided to go over and I did my old karaoke standard All By Myself. They loved me and one girl asked me to sing Phantom Of The Opera with her. They dug that too.

It's funny how your day can just turn around like that. Those people were not the people I was trying to impress that day, but in the end their accolades mattered.

Sometimes I think I'd be better off just staying in Ottawa, getting a government job, and doing amateur theatre for the rest of my life. I honestly think I would be happy doing that. I'd have lots of money and I'd get to do all the shows I want. But then I remember that I'm not good at anything else and I need to be paid to perform. Also that there I cannot meet anyone in Ottawa that is not ugly, so the chances of me settling down there are unlikely. Also that I hate Ottawa and need to leave it now.

4 comments:

Lindsay said...

just come back to Toronto and lie on top of me all the time. I won't cut you from that.

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

Wonderland can lick me where I bleed, they cut me too a while ago. It's because we're out of their league. We'd show up the losers they usually cast and then someone would try to kill us, that's not good.
Why do community theatre in ottawa when you can get paid doing it in NYC and other places?

artsmonkey said...

i got the shaft from wonderland about 5 years ago. i never went back. never.

The ArtofBeingMe said...

wonderland sounds like the devil. the devil who wears....Honest Eds clothes.

"The Devil who wears Honest Eds Apparel" starring Carol Channing. In theatres next summer.