Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Little World (Thou Shalt Not)

A recent conversation with a friend made me realize how lucky I am because I haven't experienced any discrimination in my life.  It's actually pretty stunning that I managed to live twenty eight years as the gayest gay to ever gay without ever being gay bashed or harassed or put down or rejected.  Or maybe I have and I chose to see a different side to it and turn it into a positive thing.  Who knows.  But I can tell you that in elementary school no one ever called me a homo, (that was reserved for a friend of mine that even I used to call "Running Faggot").  And in high school I was only called gay twice and neither time did it bother me.  Seriously, a lot of people who did not know me back then are surprised to hear that I was not a loser in high school.  On the contrary - I was a social butterfly.  Everyone liked me (as far as I know).  I had friends in every social group and always had a different best friend in every class.  If I had to go back I wouldn't change a thing.  Living in Vancouver?  Forget it.  Coming out in Toronto?  Relatively painless.  Work?  I've always been fortunate enough to work with a bunch of chicks who fancied me their best accessory, and all the straight guys I've worked with have been extremely open, gay-friendly people.

Once I was working in the restaurant when a group of about twelve big burly manly men sat in my section.  When I went over to offer drinks, they were still undecided.  Before I could go back, they had all gotten up and left.  A co-worker (a real "how much do you need" type) asked me if I thought they left because they didn't want to be served by me because I'm gay.  She's a fucking idiot.  I explained to her that they didn't seem happy with the menu and they were quite friendly when they told me they weren't ready to order.  This girl has plenty of issues and was clearly only trying to get me to feel bad about myself because she's so insecure herself.  I win.

My brother always used to call me a fag.  But he also was afraid of gremlins and once peed in the corner of our bedroom because he was too scared to walk to the bathroom at night.  He hated me, I hated him.  I took no offense.  I just peed in his shampoo and never told him.

So what is it?  Am I just a super loveable guy that no one would dare try to hurt?  Or do I merely have a super human positive outlook and extremely high self confidence?  Either way, I feel so fortunate to have been able to live my life as a faggot with plenty of ease.  Now if only I could get my parents to accept me...

4 comments:

artsmonkey said...

haha. you're funny. but also insightful.

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I don't know what it is. Yes. and yes.

I don't think you give anyone reasons to hurt you, it's not that no one would dare try to. You just don't hurt people.

So live up to that and stop calling me fat and saying EG is way out of my league.

skinny-rabbit said...

So, I DO hurt people....?

Lindsay said...

This blog made me laugh. Bahahahhahahahahhahhhaahaha.