Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Love's Revenge (Two Gentlemen Of Verona)

At the end of the last calendar year, I was dating this fella. He really liked me. But like really liked me. I, on the other hand, was just not that into him. The weekend before I went to Mexico for Christmas, he slept over, and that was supposed to be the last time I saw him before I left. Then he tells me he has a present for me, and he needs to see me one more time before I go, so he can give it to me. This annoyed me. I told him not to get me anything as I would not be getting him anything. I was very busy doing shows and working and honestly did not have the time to make for him. He wouldn't leave me alone about it, so I agreed to meet up with him for five minutes between shows and work. He comes all the way from the east end of the city. One bus, two subways, just to meet me for five minutes to give me a kiss. That was the present. Now I was angry. He knew I wouldn't like that so he gave me Lindts chocolates. Most people tell me that it was a romantic gesture and I should have appreciated it. I just found it annoying. So I went to Mexico, and I came back for a few days before hopping on another plane to Moncton. I managed to call him once during those few days. He asked when he could see me again, and I said when I get back from Moncton. I got back from Moncton and never called him again. That was three months ago, almost. I never really cared if I ever saw him again, but I did feel really guilty about never actually breaking up with him. This makes me an asshole. In my defense, I was very busy and I actually never had the time to call him and by the time I realized how long it had been, it had been that long and was too late. I was in the dog house. I've thought about calling him or sending a facebook message (smart move on my part to never actually add him as a friend), but I never had the guts and didn't know exactly what to say.

I ran into him on the street today. It was unavoidable. We pretended to care how the other was doing. I wanted to explain myself but I didn't know how. Somehow "Hey! Sorry, I never called you. It's just that I was like busy..." didn't feel like the right thing to say. I was worried that he'd interrupt me and yell "YOU BROKE MY HEART!" I wished him luck and he turned around and I could see his face start to change into one of "holy shit, that was awkward." And it was. I feel weird. I should maybe message him now, but I don't want to.

2 comments:

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

weeeeird! I'm glad to know how that turned out though! It feels kind of like a loose end tying up, even though it didn't really tie up at all. No, I think the kiss thing is annoying because you expressly said that you didn't have time. You're not a girl! geez mon.

artsmonkey said...

sometimes the moment to make it better just passes. i don't know if those things can ever really be made better though.