Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Here's Where I Stand (Camp)

Ok, so I recently watched Love, Actually. Everyone who has seen it tells me they love it. I love multiprotagonist films and I like british films so I figured I would love it also. Turns out I wasn't impressed. I actually thought it was not a good movie. There were some great moments. I really liked the little boy. He's adorable, a sweet actor, and I like the twist that he was in love and that's why he was so downtrodden, not because his mother died. But what was with that scene at the airport? I'm sorry, but do all little tiny boys know their way through an airpor well enough that they can out-run security and not have to stop to check what gate this girl he was chasing after was departing from? How did he know where to run to? Please tell me. And then when he is taken back to Liam, the little chick comes out to kiss him on the cheek. I'm sorry, did her really say "Ok, black daughter, you can go all the way back to see thi kid. We'll just hold have them hold the plane. Did security say, "Sure, little black girl, go ahead and return from where you came. We won't find this suspicious or have to re-search you when you come back through. And Liam... oh, Liam. You were fine and all, but the Claudia Schiffer thing. It was cute up until the point where he meets her, only she has a different name. She's just the same person with the same voice but not a model.

Keira Nightley, why were you in this movie? You and your two men had no connections to the rest of the cast, except at the end when we find out that you just happen to be friend with Colin Firth. I'm sorry, what?! You had nothing to do with each other throughout the entire movie, he wasn't even at your wedding and all of sudden you, the black dude and the white dude, who are all sooo much younger than him, are his best friends? That's gay. Also gay is what the fuck was up with that storyline? I really liked the character of the dude in love with his best friends's wife, but it was said that he never spoke to her, so how did he end up falling so hard for her exactly? And how did the three of them end up staying friends? And how did he know that she would answer the door and not him?

Back to Colin. He and that maid. It was a cute storyline, but the whole he says something in english and she says practically the same thing in portuguese... that was retarded. So forced. So dumb. Just... dumb. But I really liked her sister. Like, I like-like her.

Laura Linney, you were great and I liked you story. But why did it die out? You didn't even get a moment at the end?

Hugh Grant... fine, I'll accept this one but it's still cliche.

I did love some shit. Like the scene where Laura Linney's in bed with that sexy fucker, but her brother keeps calling her, and the scene that follows it at the hospital. That was good shit. We needed more of that. Emma Thompson's character rocked the shit. I totally dug her story. But exactly what was her connection of Liam Neeson?

The stand-in couple were just darling.

Ugh, and the Colin Firth story had such promise! If only they hadn't fucked up with the cheesy dialogue.

UGH! And what the hell was up with that dude who goes to the States to get laid? What was with te stupid cameos and the absolutely ridiculous dialogue that turned the movie into American Pie 8? That really actually pissed me off.

I didn't who the fuck I was supposed to care about in this film. I didn't have time to invest in anyone. Except Emma. Just when I had bought into Laura, she disappeared. But everyone else... I wasn't sure who was likeable and who wasn't. I wasn't sure why I should like any of these people at all. I think it was a poorly made film. I'm not satisfied. That's just the way I feel. Don't hate.

If this movie taught me anything, it is that there are a lot of black people in London, but none of them are important.

I believe I am done speaking on this subject.

2 comments:

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

Okay, I have a big response to this. first of all, I agree with you, it's not as impressive as it should be.
little boy--his story is my favourite! the airport thing is retarded, I'll admit. But the line about being to young to be in love and he says "no" so simply totally takes over the rest.

Keira--no fucking point to her being in the movie at all. I fucking hate her. But Colin did know them, he was at the wedding, then he came home and caught his wife with his brother, remember?

Colin and Maid--I don't care what you say, I LOVED the cheesy dialogue. It was amazing. The girl is wonderful and they are adorable together.

Hugh--not just acceptable! their story is hot and awesome. It could be because I'm a not skinny brunette who's kind of awkward and wants to sleep with Hugh Grant.

Linney--she pisses me off all the time. I know you like her because of that weird show, but she's annoying and she plays the same character in EVERYTHING she does. her ending PISSED ME OFF.

Stand ins--kick ass, they were awesome.

Emma--obviously amazing. like super amazing. I THINK she was Liam's late wife's sister or something. Either way, they were friends!

Guy who goes to the states--yeah, that was dumb. that's not love! I thought the movie was about love!

maid's sister--I heard she's available.

artsmonkey said...

i agree with pretty much all of your comments - but they didnt really bother me. i enjoyed. and how about the scene when emma thompson gets the cd for the present and has to swallow her oncomming sob?! amazing! love her!
and keira.
she's unacceptable in general.