Thursday, August 31, 2006

When Velma Takes The Stand (Chicago)

I had my audition for Beauty And The Beast tonight. I filled out the form and said that I was audition for Lefou or Lumiere and that I would accept another role but not a chorus role. I explained to them that this was not because I don't want to be in the chorus, but because I don't actually have time to do the show, so I want to make sure that if I do this it's for a substantial part. They completely understood and respected that. I sang brilliantly (Where Was I from Minnie's Boys, a term 2 favourite). Someone mentioned to me that we should fuck up the dance on purpose so that they don't throw us in the chorus just because we're good dancers. I did not go along with this because I wanted to show that I'm a triple threat. I read for Lumiere brilliantly. I read for Lefou brilliantly. And then... they asked me to read for Monsier D'Arque. Fine. I don't really mind. However, they asked me if I should be maybe cast as D'Arque would I also do dance chorus then. I said yes. Because at least then I get to dance (which I love), and I get a decent part, which although it isn't big, and he's only in a couple of scenes in Act II, I love that trio he sings in.

Now I'm wishing they had never asked that. I may possibly be the best person to play Lefou. I may possibly be the best person to play Lumiere. But even so, they may possibly give me D'Arque just to ensure that they get me for dance chorus because I'm pretty much the only triple threat guy they have in this city, and definitely one of the best dancers (which isn't saying much for the city). I really don't want that to happen because I really have my heart set on one of the two L roles. Let's all hold hands and pray that I don't get stuck with the role I don't actually want and shouldn't be playing anyway.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

when do you find out? i'm keeping my fingers crossed. you are fabulous!

The ArtofBeingMe said...

OOOHHH!!! I so hope you get Lumiere....it's such a great role and you would be a shining star as him.....or LeFou. I have my fingers crossed.......

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

yeah I'll cast some magic spells for you to get an L role. You'd be such an amazing funny frenchie! tell then to get a good choreographer so that the dancers who aren't dancers look like dancers.