Thursday, August 28, 2008

You Need A Song (Smith)

I spent the last week sitting on an audition panel as choreographer.  It was a bizarre experience being on the other side of the table, watching auditionee after auditionee, some strangers, some friends, dance, sing and act for me, hoping to impress me enough to get a dance callback and hopefully a role.  I found myself being the Paula of the judges.  I kept a smile on my face, even when we hated the person, in order to make them feel comfortable and in order not to have their night ruined by a rude panel.  I discovered how fake I can be.  It wasn't easy.
I've learned, from other people's mistakes, what not to do when you are on the directing team.  For that I am thankful.  I received some very positive feedback about my composure this week.

I'm surprised I was able to handle the dance callbacks the way I did.  Thirty five dancers showed up for a two hour call.  I had them do the dance from the audition, with an extra eight counts of eights I taught them on the spot.  The we went across the floor and I asked to see the jump of their choice, set to Knock On Wood by Amii Stewart.  Then we did a hip hop number to the soundtrack of In The Heights.  Followed by their freestyle, show-me-your-tricks to Geri Halliwell's cover of It's Raining Men.  Lastly, and what I was most complimented on, was a lyrical to A Way Back To Then.  Why did I have them do the lyrical.  Just because I wanted see someone do a lyrical to that song.  Don't you?

I'm happy with the cast we've potentially put together.  With one or two exceptions, the entire chorus can dance or do tricks.  I'm going to have a lot of fun with this show.

This afternoon I board a plane to my homeland - New York.  I needs this trip to freshen up before rehearsals start, because that is going to take over my life. 

2 comments:

Warrior Princesse Alathariel said...

I. want. to. see. this. show.

now.

I also reeeally want to see your lyrical to a way back to then. did someone tape it? are you putting it on facebook? or at least this blog?

I miss you.

Lindsay said...

For shiz. How very Zach from A Chorus Line minus the ugly redhead that can't sing but keeps asking you to let her dance for you, let her tryyyyy because you made a lot of music dancing, you and...her. I'm referring to the movie, not the Randolph production.