Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Come To Your Senses (Tick, Tick... BOOM!)

I had this epiphany the other day. I was wondering why I'm 27 and have been out of theatre school for three years and all these kids who are just as talented as I am are out there and getting auditions for shows like The Sound Of Music and getting work in shows like Dirty Dancing and going on tour after tour and booking show and after and posting their headshots on facebook and being members of Equity. And then it dawned on me: They submit themselves for stuff. I guess sitting on my ass, booking one paying show, and resting on it isn't the way to go. The other kids in my show are still auditioning and doing other things. I'm just doing the show. And the burlesque show. But still. The only professional show I've bothered to submit myself for in the part year, I booked. So then why do I let auditions for Dirty Dancing, We Will Rock You, Stratford, Sound Of Music, and other such theatre gigs pass me by? Why don't I just get new headshots already? Why don't I update my resume and send it to some people? Why don't I crash auditions? Why don't I network? Why am I such a lazy bastard? I wonder where I'll be in three years. When I'm 30!!!!!

3 comments:

Rice said...

starring in Bottom's Dream productions is where you'll be.

artsmonkey said...

good observation. the thing is, you have to submit yourself for stuff you actually really want to do... not just stuff that will make you look cool. focus energy in one direction... then wait 15-25years, and maybe you'll become famous....

Lindsay said...

Oh god, 30.

What about your documentary? And moving to New York for classes? You're not that lazy. You have plans and stuff. Plans and stuff are good.